Sound like you? 🤔
- Detective: You have a deep desire to understand how things work in great detail, to guide you in designing systems, and debugging that arise.
- Problem solver: You excel at understanding and solving complex problems. You have incredible attention to detail.
- Always Be Learning: You're open to the best tool for the job even if it’s not one you know. You are excited to learn new technologies and processes.
- Technical communicator: You can break down tricky topics in writing and in person.
- Efficient: You get a lot done quickly and can translate your skills into new processes that your team will follow.
- Quality focused: You care about the things a customer may never see because you take pride in your work.
- Autonomous: You can work with little guidance but know how to ask for help when you're lost. You know how to prioritize, manage your time, and your limits.
- Build reliable backend systems that incorporate ML, video streaming, and distributed systems
- Help us articulate the core data model of the product development process
- Prototype, build and ship intuitive user interfaces
- Create unique user experiences by building new features and improving existing ones
- Evaluate and refine solutions to deliver a highly performant and exceptionally reliable backend system
- Collaborate across the engineering team and company to define how our backend systems should evolve
- Develop and use your skills as a mentor and leader
- Support code quality, new technologies, and architectural design within the company
- Own and deliver complex projects from the planning stage through shipping
Experience: You have 3+ years of professional backend and/or distributed systems experience.
Technologies we use: TypeScript, GraphQL, Python, Electron, Kubernetes, AWS. We’re agnostic to the back-end language you want to develop as long as you can go fast. We lean heavily on third-party APIs and libraries for shipping code quickly and correctly.
Nice to have: experience working across the stack from database to DOM
GPT-3 experience, Kubernetes, Python, Hasura, AWS, Full-stack web development experience, Bash and command-line scripting, working across the stack from database to DOM, excellent Googler 🤫.
(TypeScript/HTML/CSS experience are huge bonuses)
What's it really like working at BuildBetter? 🤷🏻♀️
- We don't care much about "work signaling" — we care about tangible output.
- We're a fully remote company.
- We try not to take ourselves too seriously with our Slack filled with frequent memes, gifs, and music posts.
- We critique each other's work.
- We seek constructive feedback and intently listen when others speak.
- Generous equity
- Remote-first, remote-always work environment
- Flexible vacation / Unlimited PTO (minimum 2 weeks per year)
- Flex workweek (outcomes > input)
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance reimbursement
- The latest MacBook Pro laptop + Remote set up stipend
- Education Stipend (e.g. Courses / Audible)
- Professional Development (paid external coaching)
- Yearly company retreats
BuildBetter is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Take me back.